Rob Speer on 23 Jun 2002 21:47:03 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] DimShip redo

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 07:03:06PM -0400, Glotmorf wrote:
> A.2. Virtual Dimensions
>
> A Player's virtual dimensions are the values of eir real dimensions, plus the buoyancy and minus the ballast of whatever DimShip e is currently occupying at the time.  A virtual dimension cannot differ from the corresponding real dimension by more than |100|.

The absolute value of 100 is always 100. You seem to have the absolute value
function in the wrong place. Or you could say "more than 100 or less
than -100".

> A DimShip moves to a new dimensional location by setting its buoyancy and ballast.  Players occupying a DimShip are not considered to be at the DimShip's dimensional location.

Hmm? *Not* considered to be at the DimShip's dimensional location? I
think that this would be a nice reform, making DimShip moves only
relevant to stuff like combat and Realms and not affecting the player's
status. But the rest of the rule seems to say that this isn't the case.
So what does this part mean?

I don't think I'm going to vote for the return of DimShips, at least not
in this form. They've had their day. Now we're getting suggestions for
new attributes like Luck that *should* be Dimensions, but the rule can't
call them that lest DimShips wreak havoc on them. (Random observation:
"lest" is a fun conjunction to use.)

--
Rob Speer