Glotmorf on 23 Jun 2002 21:53:03 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] DimShip redo

On 6/23/02 at 5:00 PM Alex Truelsen wrote:

>> A.2. Virtual Dimensions
> >
> > A Player's virtual dimensions are the values of eir real dimensions,
>plus
>the
> > buoyancy and minus the ballast of whatever DimShip e is currently
>occupying at
> > the time.  A virtual dimension cannot differ from the corresponding real
> > dimension by more than |100|.
>
>So then, something like, say, a radar tower, which adjusts players' radar
>dimension to be 3 higher than it would be otherwise suddenly doesn't have
>any effect?
>
>-Is Radar a dimension? Where is it defined as such?-

Radar isn't a dimension, but Dan brought up a similar point: that real and virtual dimensions should perhaps be defined in the dimensions rule, so that things other than DimShips can affect them.

> > A.4. Coupled Ships
> >
> > A coupled DimShip is two or more DimShips connected together and
>functioning
> > as a single ship.  Ballast and buoyancy for a coupled DimShip are still
>each
> > limited to 50, but are multiplied by the number of single ships in the
>coupled
> > ship.  E.g. if a coupled ship contains three single ships, and the
>coupled
> > ship's buoyancy is set to 10 respect, the modification applied would be
>+30
> > respect.
>
>So if you couple twenty DimShips and launch at +50 Score, you win an
>infinite number of times?
>
>-No, because your Score dimension cannot be altered by more then 100. See
>Section A.2.-

Quite.

> > B.2.3. Pilots
> >
> > A pilot can be hired for 10 points, and will then charge 2 points per
>nweek
> > starting with the following nweek unless and until the Pilot is fired.
> > Pilot can board and disembark a Landed DimShip, or can move from a
>single
> > DimShip to another within a coupled DimShip, or can move from one
>DimShip
> > another if their ballast and buoyancy are the same.  If the DimShip the
>pilot
> > is moving to does not belong to the Player who hired the Pilot, the
>owner
>of
> > the DimShip must explicitly permit the Pilot to enter on the public
>forum.
>
>I've looked around through the rest of this, and I see absolutely no use
>for
>Pilots. What are they good for?
>
>-That's under Section C.3, where it says that you or your pilot must be on
>DimShip to move it.-

Quite.

> > C. Use
> >
> > C.1. Launching and Landing
> >
> > A DimShip is put into active use when it is Launched.  A DimShip is
>taken
>out
> > of active use when it is Landed.  Launching occurs at the end of the
>nweek.
> > Landing can occur at any time, and results in buoyancy and ballast
>being
>set
> > to 0.  A DimShip reduced to 0 buoyancy and ballast capacity Lands
> > automatically.
>
>Why lands automatically? Can't we decide to cruise at our normal levels
>for
>a bit, perhaps to get off a shot at another ship, then fly off to another
>region without having to wait for another Launch?
>
>-Actually, I'm with Wonko on this one.-

I suppose this needs to be rephrased.  I was referring to combat, actually: if damage reduces the buoyancy and ballast capacity of a DimShip to zero, the DimShip has to land.

Damn...Tell me I didn't forget repairs...

> > C.2. Occupying
> >
> > A Player can board (enter) a DimShip e owns if that DimShip is landed.
> > Player can move from a DimShip e occupies to a DimShip e owns if the
>DimShips
> > are in the same location.  A Player can board a DimShip e doesn't own,
>or
>move
> > from a DimShip e occupies to a DimShip e doesn't own in the same
>location, if
> > the owner of the DimShip explicitly permits.  A Player can force other
>Players
> > and Pilots the Player has not hired off a DimShip e owns if the DimShip
>is
> > Landed.
> >
> > A Player only occupies a single DimShip at a time.
>
>Shouldn't that last statement be a restriction, as opposed to a
>declaration
>of fact? We don't have any provisions for the ruleset simply being wrong -
>like if it says 'A Player only occupies a single DimShip at a time', but a
>player is occupying two DimShips at once...
>
>-"A player may only occupy..." perhaps?-

Thanks.

> > C.4. Coupling
> >
> > A Player may couple any number of DimShips e owns in the same
>dimensional
> > location to produce a coupled DimShip.  A Player may uncouple DimShips
>from a
> > coupled DimShip at any time; the uncoupled DimShips are considered to
>remain
> > at the same dimensional location as the coupled DimShip.
>
>What happens if a player occupies a Coupled DimShip, then uncouples it?
>Technically, the player was occupying all of the individual DimShips
>before
>hand; which does e occupy now? If e still occupies all of them, then one
>of
>the above sections is wrong, as it states that this is not the case.
>
>-Well, unless they're cruising at b/b = 0, there are Pilots on all of the
>Coupled DimShips save one- the one the player occupies. The player must
>have
>occupied one Ship before the Coupling, perhaps they still occupy it,
>unless
>they explicitly state otherwise?-

My intent was that the Players and Pilots remain in whatever single DimShip they were in when the coupling took place, or whatever one they moved to within the coupled ship after that.  Will work on phrasing.

>Also, might it not be a good idea to mention that only uncoupled DimShips
>may be coupled? The above def'n seems to imply that a new DimShip is
>created
>upon the coupling that is made up of other DimShips; what stops one from
>coupling two sets of 5 into two Coupled DimShips, then coupling the two of
>them together? Admittedly, I see no reason why it would ever help anyone
>do that, but then again, up until recently I saw no reason why it would be
>helpful to throw Gnomes out for 5 points :)
>
>-It would only hurt you, wouldn't it? You'd be stuck with two, having paid
>for ten. That's 800 points (plus Equipment) down the drain. (Although, if
>you've got the points to buy 10 DimShips, you've got 1000 points. Don't
>buy
>the Ships, win the game. Just a thought.)-

I personally don't have a problem with coupling coupled ships together, or adding single ships to already coupled ones.  Be a pain in the ass for Mr. A to keep track of, but hey, what isn't in this game?

> > If a DimShip's ballast or buoyancy capacity is reduced below N, where N
>is the
> > number of Guns and Armor the DimShip carries times 10, first Guns and
>then
> > Armor are destroyed until N is at or below both buoyancy and ballast
>capacity.
> > Destroyed Guns and Armor no longer count as ballast or buoyancy.
>
>Guns and Armor count as ballast and buoyancy?
>
>-That's B.2.1 and B.2.2, where they're defined as adding Ballast and
>Buoyancy to the Ship.-

Quite.

> > In addition to the above, if a Player possessing the Sushi occupies a
>DimShip
> > with a Gun, e may, once per nweek, shoot the Sushi at a Player in a
>DimShip in
> > the same realm.  This is equivalent to forcefully giving the Sushi to
>another
> > Player, but does not require the Sushi to be owned for four ndays.
>(This
>takes
> > precedence over Rule 213.)
>
>So if you're riding in a DimShip that is also occupied by the player with
>the Sushi, and your ship has a gun, your passenger can shoot the Sushi at
>you?
>
>-Sure, why not? It's a dorsal cannon, and what goes up...-

"Ooo...what does THIS button do?"  It's a good reason to be careful who you let onto your ship, but I can see a case for two players sharing one.

						Glotmorf