Glotmorf on 31 May 2002 04:14:52 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Proposed r0 proposal

On 5/31/02 at 12:04 AM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,

>>> I believe that this is the logic train:
>>> 1) It is impossible to know the score of anyone who owns a dimship.
>>> 2) It is, therefore, impossible to know if anyone has won or not.
>>> 3) The clock turns off as soon as someone wins.
>>> 4) Therefore, we do not know whether the clock is on or off.
>>>
>>> -0- Thus Spake The Voice -0-
>>
>> Well, you can know *my* score, since I'm not displaced in score, but I
>see
>> what you're concerned about.
>>
>> But I still maintain the same argument.  Either the game is completely
>broken
>> and what anyone's score is doesn't matter, or precedent dictates the game
>> isn't broken and the runaway acceleration stuff didn't happen.  I favor
>the
>> latter, because to allow the runaway acceleration is to allow the game
>to be
>> broken.
>
>Precedent cannot take precedence over the rules. We didn't notice it was
>broken, but it was. And still is.
>
>And we don't know your score - people may or may not have won, and
>depending
>on that, your score may or may not have been reset to 0.
>
>--
>Wonko

Actually, precedent can take precedence, at least in common law.  Hence you have things like easements, squatters' rights, common-law marriages, palimony and other things that legally exist solely because they'd been allowed to continue for a long enough period of time.  Granted, we don't explicitly acknowledge common law in the rules, but then we're back to things like game custom, common sense and other things that allow us to use English and email without explicitly saying so.

Under the assumption that no one's score is known right now, no, my score isn't known.  The Voice had tied it to dimships, though.

						Glotmorf