Wonko on 20 May 2002 20:18:18 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: von Skippy Overproduction, Inc.

Wow... Remind me never to miss four days of Nomic in a row again...

Okay, I'm going to start responding to things. I apologize if I say anything
someone's already said; I'm a bit out of it at the moment.

Quoth Glotmorf,

> It's my belief -- hence the argument with Wonko -- that the current version of
> the charter prop rule doesn't grant a charter prop the authority to make a
> charter that does anything but say how members can join, how members can be
> ousted, who the first member is, and whether and how the club can make a club
> prop.  So stuff that controls the creation of gnomes and the assigning of them
> to people is outside the authority of the charter prop.

Then defining what the president of M-Tek is and what e can do is also
outside the the Charter Prop's authority. M-Tek is illegal once again.

> There's a reason for this.

I eagerly await enlightenment

> My idea for charter props was a quickie way of creating clubs, one that didn't
> require the approval of a lot of players but nevertheless could be overturned
> if everyone decided to do so.  This should be acceptable for any club that
> doesn't have a significant impact on the rest of the game, but only exists for
> the sake of its members.  Things that create and distribute points, or create
> and distribute grid objects, etc. are things everyone should be willing to
> approve; otherwise, as Wonko's example indicated, it would be blatantly
> unfair.
>
> Now...this isn't to say that a club can't be formed whose members get gnomes
> as door prizes.  It's just that it'd have to be created using a regular
> proposal, which would require at least 1/2 of the votes to be affirmative.

But without allowing Charter Props to make clubs that can change the
gamestate significantly, there's really only one club that can be made via a
Charter Prop - a generic club that lets people pool bandwidth. Even
something as simple as calling a member the Prez would be outside the
authority of the Charter Prop.

--
Wonko