Glotmorf on 20 May 2002 20:37:20 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: von Skippy Overproduction, Inc.

On 5/20/02 at 4:18 PM Wonko wrote:

>Wow... Remind me never to miss four days of Nomic in a row again...
>
>Okay, I'm going to start responding to things. I apologize if I say
>anything
>someone's already said; I'm a bit out of it at the moment.
>

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> It's my belief -- hence the argument with Wonko -- that the current
>version of
>> the charter prop rule doesn't grant a charter prop the authority to make
>> charter that does anything but say how members can join, how members can
>be
>> ousted, who the first member is, and whether and how the club can make a
>club
>> prop.  So stuff that controls the creation of gnomes and the assigning
>of them
>> to people is outside the authority of the charter prop.
>
>Then defining what the president of M-Tek is and what e can do is also
>outside the the Charter Prop's authority. M-Tek is illegal once again.
>
>> There's a reason for this.
>
>I eagerly await enlightenment
>
>> My idea for charter props was a quickie way of creating clubs, one that
>didn't
>> require the approval of a lot of players but nevertheless could be
>overturned
>> if everyone decided to do so.  This should be acceptable for any club
>that
>> doesn't have a significant impact on the rest of the game, but only
>exists for
>> the sake of its members.  Things that create and distribute points, or
>create
>> and distribute grid objects, etc. are things everyone should be willing
>> approve; otherwise, as Wonko's example indicated, it would be blatantly
>> unfair.
>>
>> Now...this isn't to say that a club can't be formed whose members get
>gnomes
>> as door prizes.  It's just that it'd have to be created using a regular
>> proposal, which would require at least 1/2 of the votes to be
>affirmative.
>
>But without allowing Charter Props to make clubs that can change the
>gamestate significantly, there's really only one club that can be made via
>Charter Prop - a generic club that lets people pool bandwidth. Even
>something as simple as calling a member the Prez would be outside the
>authority of the Charter Prop.
>
>--
>Wonko

Nope.  The Charter Prop rule says members of a club have to obey the rules in the charter, so the rules in the charter are part of the club's nature.  That affects the members of the club, but it doesn't affect the entire game.  The charter is a body of extra rules that members of a club agree to obey if they accept membership in the club, unlike players overall who aren't affected if they don't want to be.

						Glotmorf