Glotmorf on 16 Apr 2002 04:34:12 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Proposal: Club Charters

On 4/15/02 at 10:04 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> {{ _Hey Spanky, Wanna Start a Club?_
>>
>> {{ _Club Charters_
>>
>> Groups, as defined in Rule Five-Seven-Eight, also known as Clubs, can be
>> formed by a Player making a Charter Prop, which is like a normal prop.
>in that
>> it's added to the nweek ballot and voted on.  A Charter Prop, though,
>passes
>> unless 2/3 of the votes it receives are against it.  Passage or failure
>of
>> Charter Props don't cause gains or losses of score points.
>
>This means that throwing in a tiny little useless Club clause would allow
>anyone to make a proposal that only requires 1/3 of the players to vote
>Yes.
>That's bad.
>
>Besides, if just under 2/3 of all players don't like it, what stops someone
>from proposing to repeal it? 2/3 is plenty to repeal a rule.
>
>--
>Wonko

The general idea here is that Clubs are mostly for the benefit of their members, and therefore the formation of one shouldn't require everyone's approval; however, if a Club, or the rule that defines the Club, is something that for whatever reason everybody doesn't want, then everyone can agree to keep that Club from coming into existence.

Why a rule?  At least partly because of the Club Prop rule I'm proposing, because if a Club can have an effect on the rest of the game, then there should be some portion of it the rest of the game has direct control over.  Which, yes, includes repealing it if necessary.

If it's not a rule, we need an entirely new mechanism for maintaining Club Charters, along the lines of my insta-rules.  As in, a separate list maintained by Mr. A.

I can live with that, and even with changing the Club Prop prop to fit.  Can you suggest the language?

						Glotmorf