Jonathan Van Matre on 4 Feb 2002 14:52:35 -0000

RE: spoon-discuss: Is Nomic one syllable?

Any way you slice it, it's a two syllable word.  The stress also falls on the first syllable, whether you pronounce it with a short 'o' or a long 'o'.  So, as far as the haiku bonus is concerned, the pronunciation doesn't matter, unless you're planning to read your haiku rule proposal aloud at a coffeehouse open mike night.  :)

As for the pronunciation of the word, see http://www.nomic.net/FAQ.html#a3 for discussion of the debated pronunciations, and Suber's own take on the matter.

--Scoff!