Rob Speer on 22 Jun 2001 03:14:33 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: spoon-business: Change the win conditions

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 01:02:00AM +0000, David E. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Rob Speer wrote:
>
> > 1. Change Rule 211/2 to the following:
> > "Whenever a Player's score reaches or exceeds 1000 points, the Administrator
> > shall credit em with a Win."
>
> Hmm... seems a bit inflationary, don't you think?
>
> > [[ You may notice the lack of any requirement based on owning Rules. ]]
>
> Why yes, I did in fact notice that. :-)
>
> There's plenty of arguments in favor of dropping the rules-ownership
> requirement, and I can't yet think of any against. But why increase the
> score criterion to a grand?
>
> > 2. Change the first paragraph of Rule 323/1 to:
> > "Once per nweek, the Banker may set the Point value of the Adopted Proposal
> > Award such that its value is no less than 15 and no greater than 30, and may
> > set the Point value of the Opposed Minority Award such that its value is no
> > less than zero and no greater than 10."
>
> Same thing, more-or-less. Seems like you're just making lots of numbers
> bigger. What do you, or us, or the game as a whole, gain from this?

Well, it seemed that if getting proposals passed (which counting rules was a
really lousy way of measuring) was such an important part of winning, it should
still be under the new win conditions. The effect of inflating the numbers is
to make other score increases/deductions less significant. My reasoning was
that, eventually, people would stop opposing someone's proposals because e was
getting too many points, and at that point e'd either need to make really good
proposals or make up the remaining points with other methods.

Now that I think about it, though, this just reinforces drastic manipulations
of the scoring system (like what I did) as the only realistic way to win. So
the increased numbers don't accomplish all that much. I'll modify my proposal.

As for what I gain from this, hopefully nothing. As I've said, I don't
especially want a head start while everything else is being reset.

(Incidentally, I see nothing in the rules which says anything happens to
Objects when the game resets. So why is there any doubt that the Go board is
intact?)
--
Rob Speer