Rob Speer on 19 Jun 2001 05:26:58 -0000

spoon-discuss: Another Pooker showdown? Nah.

It would seem that things just played nicely into my hands. Pooker was not
changed in a way that would prevent the Dealer from making a showdown, the Bank
has mucho points, and the game-resetting thing reset the ownership of _all_
cards to me. I could claim any number of points I wanted to with a Showdown.

But I won't. I'm not going to show any Cards. Not even a lousy pair.

Part of the reason is that it seems people were decieved by my proposal
entitled "Fix the Showdown". This proposal does not "fix" the Showdown in the
most important way, by preventing the Dealer from participating. But enough
people voted for that one and against "No Pooker" because they probably felt it
was safe to do so.

Another part of the reason is that we've just gotten a nice, fresh start, and
by claiming more Points I'd just screw that up. While I maintain that my
previous two wins were entirely legit, another Showdown would violate the
"spirit" of the game however you care to define it.

Another part of the reason is simply self-interest - if I had any sort of
advantage over the rest of the players, I'd never get to pass my forthcoming
Proposal adjusting the win conditions of the game.

So now we truly are on even ground. There is no reason for me to leverage the
Pooker rule anymore, so I'll be coming up with a real fix to that soon as well.
--
Rob Speer