Josh on 24 Feb 2001 10:54:21 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: rules naming specific players

"Gavin M. Doig" sez:
>I'd just like to register my opinion on this. I'm against it. There.
>
>More specifically, I'm against legislation to prevent rules from naming
>specific players. This will only add a needless layer of complexity to the
>proosal process, and if anyone really wants to do it anyway, they will. If
>there's one thing that playing nomic has taught me, it's that any
>restriction can be got around with sufficient ingenuity.
>
>I think this is something where we should just rely on people not to vote
>for rules saying "BLMP must give all his stuff to Joel". At the most basic
>level, we can't force people to take out-of-game actions anyway, and I just
>can't see us voting for something to do really unpleasant in-game things to
>someone; it's neither big, funny, nor clever - and those are the 3 rules by
>which nomic players judge proosals.

What about scams where players get rules passed which benefit them
or a certain group of players personally? At least one win in this
nomic's successor was due to such a situation.

Of course all this is ancillary to the primary issue at hand, which
is Joel's Randalling.

Josh

--
josh blog: http://www.public.iastate.edu/~kortbein/blog/