Gavin M. Doig on 24 Feb 2001 10:52:20 -0000

Re: spoon-discuss: Re: rules naming specific players

I'd just like to register my opinion on this. I'm against it. There.

More specifically, I'm against legislation to prevent rules from naming
specific players. This will only add a needless layer of complexity to the
proosal process, and if anyone really wants to do it anyway, they will. If
there's one thing that playing nomic has taught me, it's that any
restriction can be got around with sufficient ingenuity.

I think this is something where we should just rely on people not to vote
for rules saying "BLMP must give all his stuff to Joel". At the most basic
level, we can't force people to take out-of-game actions anyway, and I just
can't see us voting for something to do really unpleasant in-game things to
someone; it's neither big, funny, nor clever - and those are the 3 rules by
which nomic players judge proosals.

BLMP.