Joel Uckelman on 20 Feb 2001 04:20:43 -0000

spoon-discuss: multiple things

I'm responding to a whole bunch of different messages here; I hope this
doesn't bother anyone. BTW, things have really picked up in the last few
days---I haven't had this much fun in a while. Thanks, guys. :)

1. Zagarna makes a good point with regard to distinguishing between actions
required of the Banker, and say, me due to R350. If we're going to take
that route, we need a principled way to make distinctions between the two.

2. With regard to making the site a public forum, it occurred to me that
there is a difference between public records and public fora. Fora are
arenas for action, while records are documents---they're just not
comparable.

voting period: I think we should repeal it regardless, since after that it
will be a non-operative rule.

4. I like Joerg's amendment to the R211. I don't really want the Bank to
win either. I'm pretty sure that I own more than 20 rules, and I think
Poulenc might (I'll figure that out sometime soon, as I've let that go way
too long), so if either of us quit, the Bank would win.

we don't have any precedence Rules. None. I know most Nomics have them, and
so it would seem natural to look for one here. That we lack any precedence
Rules was an intentional choice on my part when forming the initial
Ruleset. Mainly I thought it would present the Judiciary with fewer knots
to untangle. As I've said before, I favor judges giving priority to newer
Rules, but I'm not so sure that's something we should legislate.
(404notfound and I agree on that last part, I believe.)

6. With respect to 404notfound's comments on needing secure private dice
rolls: If whatever we're doing is like sufficiently like vote
counting---i.e., one person can collect the votes with no problem so long
as e 1) votes before looking at others' votes, and 2) keeps quiet about it
until voting ends---then we could use current methods. If we should ever
need something more than that, I'll probably just set up a dice server on
nomic.net. Come to think of it, I have a DECstation 5000/200 currently in
use as a paperweight that would make a wonderful dice server.
dice.nomic.net. I like that...

Enough for now...

--
J.