Sean Hunt on Sat, 3 Apr 2010 13:56:38 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-b] [Oracle] CFI 110 reassignment

On 04/02/2010 09:32 AM, James Baxter wrote:

From: bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:10:19 -0500
To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [s-d] [s-b] Let's fix this game

If you're still the Oracle, CFI 110 has not been answered. The CFI in question needs to be answered before we can know that the resolution of the emergency decision fixed the gamestate.

Wooble has failed to answer CFI 110 within 7 days so he is hereby recused and I assign CFI 110 to coppro.

[[However, I do not believe that any similarity between proposals and refresh proposals would affect the emergency. Rule 23 defines proposals but does not impose restrictions on how they may be used or give them the power to change the rules and gamestate. That power is provided at the end of two different mechanisms: the one described in rule 0 and the one described in rule 17. These mechanisms can easily run alongside each other (although I assume rule 0 would apply only to the subset of proposals called refresh proposals) so there is no conflict so it does not matter if refresh proposals are proposals.]]

I find CFI 110 ("Refresh Proposals are Proposals.") to be False. The definition of Refresh proposal is provided in Rule 0: "A Refresh Proposal is a fixed body of text clearly marked as a Refresh Proposal and submitted to a Public Forum by a PEP." The only thing that would imply that a Refresh Propsoal is a Proposal is its name, however, given that the definition of Refresh Proposal is complete, there is no reason to consider them Proposals.

I call for inquiry on the following statement: "A Refresh Proposal can cause a Rule Change."

Arguments: There is no definition of taking effect, so the ordinary definition of taking affect applies to Refresh Proposals, which means that they go and change the game state. However, there is no explicit text indicating that Refresh Proposals change the rules, and so Rule 22 may prevent them from changing the rules. While it is clear that the Refresh Proposal made sure that it is David, I do not know whether the Refresh Proposal amended Rule 10.

-coppro