Mike McGann on Thu, 22 Nov 2007 22:32:31 +0100 (CET)

[s-b] Answer to Consultation 39

{{I answer Yes to Consultation 39}}

Reasoning:

By Rule 2-5:
"Any player may as a Game Action submit a Consultation."

Is the AFO a Player?

To answer: "Rule 1-4 states that an External Force may become a Player
by requesting to become a Player, and can only do so if he is capable
of passing a Membership Test (note the use of the singular)."

Rule 3-15 says:
"All personal pronouns shall be taken to refer to entities of any
gender or of no gender regardless of the purported gender of the words
used"

He is a personal pronoun. The AFO is an entity and it is of no gender.
It is legal to refer to the AFO as he, her, I, we, you, it, or they
(although some usages may be considered confusing or in bad form).

To become a player, an External Force has to fulfill the following requirements:

* He is capable of passing a Membership Test, although he may not be
required to take said test
* He is not currently a Player
* He has a working e-mail address

Items 2 and 3 have been done--it is item 1 that is in contention. Is
it capable of passing a Membership Test? Any or all of:

* Proof of uniqueness from all other known sentient beings
* Refer to one's self in the first person singular without being awkward
* Send, and receive a reply to, an email to another entity
* Be capable of thought as an individual.

Since it only has to actually pass one of these, it can pass with #3
quite easily. If the AFO states an email address to use for
communication, and it responds to all email sent to that address, it
cannot be shown that it fails #3.

Therefore, the AFO is a Player. The Registrar still has the power to
reject the registration if he chooses.

Also, I find that the requirements for becoming a Player need a major
revision. They seem to be written in a style that makes it easy for
anyone to become a Player but to have some (but vague) power to reject
admission when needed. I feel that the latter part does not work.

As an aside--can anyone provide proof that Hose and Wooble are unique
from all other sentient beings?

- Priest Hose