Roger Hicks on Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:08:31 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-b] Answer to Consultation 39

On Nov 22, 2007 2:32 PM, Mike McGann <mike.mcgann@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, I find that the requirements for becoming a Player need a major
> revision. They seem to be written in a style that makes it easy for
> anyone to become a Player but to have some (but vague) power to reject
> admission when needed. I feel that the latter part does not work.

The rules for becoming a player were a hastily written and adopted
response to my attempt to register Primo Corporation as a player a few
months ago. There was a surprisingly large amount of backlash to the
registration of a non-natural person as a player, and the current
registration rules were put in place in an effort to prevent further
registrations from non-natural persons. In the end, Primo was deemed
to be a player only to be magically transformed into a faction by a
consultation a few weeks later. However, the buggy registration rules
still remain.

I submit the following proposals:

Fixing Registration
{
Amend Rule 1-4 by removing:
{{
He may do this if and only if he fulfills the following requirements:

    * He is capable of passing a Membership Test, although he may not
be required to take said test
    * He is not currently a Player
    * He has a working e-mail address
}}
and by replacing:
{{
The Registrar may refuse to allow any External Force to become a
player, and may refuse to recognize any otherwise-legal name change,
if e believes the External Force's proposed name (or existing player's
new name) would be ambiguous or confusing, or could otherwise damage
the integrity of this game. The Registrar is encouraged, but not
required, to state the reason for such refusal.
}}
with:
{{
The Registrar may cause any Player who has become a player within the
past 12 ndays to cease to be a Player with 2 Support. He must state
the reason for such action, which must be one of the following:
* The Player's name is ambiguous, unclear, or in conflict with the
name of an already existing Player
* The Registrar believes that the new Player is identical to an
already existing Player.
* The Player was previously denied playerhood for any valid
still-existant reason.
}}
}

Only Human Players
{
Dependancy: The above proposal titled Fixing Registration

Append to list of reasons the Registrar may revoke playerhood in rule 1-4:
{{
* The Player is not a natural singular human.
}}
}

Note that I am not a proponent of the above proposal, I am simply
throwing it out there in case there is interest in limiting playerhood
to only natural persons.

BobTHJ