automailer on Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:32:27 -0500 (CDT)

[s-b] [auto] BvS amends p112

BvS has amended p112.

---------------------------------
Proposal 112/1: The Baron's Story, Chapter Three: More Fun With Souls
A Standard Proposal by BvS
Last modified on nweek 90, nday 9

[[/1 - some little typos were fixed.]]

[[
	It was a beautiful day on the Grid. The sun was out and there was barely a cloud in the sky. There was barely a cloud on the ground, either, other than the haze that obscured Wonko and Peter's forts as they merrily blazed away at each other. From the control room atop his Fort's central spire, the Baron watched the battle with a frown. "They certainly didn't waste time, did they, Commander?"
	Commander Campion looked up from the tactical station and shook his head slowly. "So far, it looks like both shields are holding, but Wonko's got the edge in firepower. We could step in and push things either way, if you give the word."
	"Not yet. We'll just watch for now."
	"Yes, sir."
	"You know, with their forts so close, if Peter pulsed his shields outward for a minute he might short out both shield grids. It would even things out a little."
	"Only until Wonko returns fire and obliterates Peter's fort. That would pretty much end that plan, sir."
	"Ah, yes. Well, good thing for Peter he hasn't done that yet."
	"Yes, sir."
	"Are you mocking me, Commander?"
	"Trying hard not to, sir."
	"Good man." The Baron turned back to the window. He watched for a moment, then turned back as the elevator dinged and a technician stepped out and walked over to him. "Something I can do for you?"
	"The Professor has something he wants to show you, sir."
	"What sort of something?"
	"He thought you'd ask that, so he sent up some notes." The tech handed over a clipboard. The Baron glanced over it briefly, then looked up and nodded. The tech led him to the elevator and hit the button for the labs level just underground. As the elevator started downward, a section of Peter's shields collapsed and a volley from Wonko's fort tore through Peter's pos/null wing, affording the observers in the Baron's fort a fabulous view of the ensuing explosion.
	"He'll be sorry he missed that one." Commander Campion muttered.]]

Add "Players may purchase Add-Ons." to the last section of Rule 10-2.

[[	The elevator doors opened on the labs level, a pristine, orderly array of hallways and labs with occasional large storage or testing rooms, everything in its place. At least, it had been when it was built.
	"We apologize for the state of things here, sir."
	"No, I understand. It's hard to find anyone who will work maintenance in these forts. Now, which room is this thing in?"
	"This one right here, sir. He's waiting for you."
	The lab was more cluttered than the rest of the level, if such a thing was possible. In the center, a large glass cylinder sat on a metal base. In the cylinder was a dull, gleaming silver orb, pulsating slowly. A large machine sitting next to the cylinder looked vaguely familiar.
	"Professor, is that a shield generator?"
	Doctor Erwin, the head of R+D, looked at the generator, then at the Baron. "Yes, it is. I didn't realize you'd recognize this piece of equipment at first glance."
	"I wouldn't have, but the active shield dome around it tipped me off."
	Erwin looked up at the bluish ripple in the air that indicated an active shield. "Ah, of course. Anyway, there's something interesting about that. See if you can find the power source."
	"Professor, you know I can't tell a gasket from a... another gasket."
	"Right. Well, there is none. It's not plugged into anything except Teucer's Soul."
	"So what you're saying is that if we take a Soul, put it in a glass case, and plug it into a machine, we can protect that machine?"
	The Baron fell silent at a withering look from the Professor. "Keep in mind, sir, that this is a Lost Soul. It barely exists in our reality at this point. We're only able to trap it because it belonged to a Player. A live Soul, however, is far more powerful, and a live Soul from an active Player..."
	"How much more powerful?"
	"Half again on top of a full-strength fort. You'd need the right apparatus to draw energy from your Soul, though, and of course the Soul would have to stay in the Fort in order to be of any use. Also, the loss of the fort could prove dangerous to the Soul's holder."
	"So what you're saying is...]]

Create a new Add-On:
{{
=== Soul Energy ===

Cost: 75 Genechips
Effect at purchase: Your Soul becomes Bound to your Fort.
Effect: Each Grid Period, you may use 100 more energy. This Energy may be referred to as Soul Energy. If your Fort is ever destroyed, your Soul becomes Lost.
}}

[[	...?"
	"Basically. Also, the energy produced has some different qualities than the normal power we use around here. If applied properly... well, here's what we've found so far."]]

Create the following new Add-Ons:
{{
=== Soul Beam ===

Cost: 50 Genechips
Cost to activate: 25 Soul Energy
Effect: Deals 15 damage to one legal target. This damage ignores the target's Defense. This Add-On may only be activated once per Grid Period.
}}

{{
=== Soul Flare ===
Cost: 50 Genechips
Cost to activate: 50 Soul Energy
Effect: Deals 10 damage to all legal targets. This damage ignores all targets' Defense. This Add-On may only be activated once per Grid Period.
}}

{{
=== Soul Armor ===
Cost: 100 Genechips
Cost to activate: 100 Soul Energy
Effect: Half of all damage dealt to you this Grid Period, rounded down, is dealt to the source of that damage. This damage ignores all targets' defense.
}}

{{
=== Soul Shield ===
Cost: 150 Genechips
Cost to activate: 100 Soul Energy, 100 Energy
Effect: You take no damage this Grid Period from any Source. This Add-On may not be used in two consecutive Grid Periods.
}}

[[	The Baron looked up from the list. "All this from one Soul?"
	"Oh, yes, sir. The Souls, as I said, don't exactly exist in this plane of reality. As such, they can be used to bypass such things as shields, but it does take some doing. As I said, there is also the risk involved. If a fort came under attack quickly, there would not be time to reattach the Soul it to its owner before the Fort was destroyed."
	"Still... I will have to give this some thought. Go ahead and publish your findings."
	"Baron, isn't there a risk to giving this information away?"
	"Doctor, you have no sense of adventure."
	"If you say so, sir."
	"Now if you'll excuse me, I have a battle to watch."]]