Phil Ulrich on Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:16:13 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-b] harvest time

I'll quote Wonko here, from the first tomato fiasco.

"2) The Tomato Fiasco

I cite CFJ 688, available at <http://www.bnomic.org/history.php?rn=688> . (look at the bottom one, that's the most recent). This CFI (then called a CFJ) was made in reference to the sentence

"A player may drink a glass of champagne by announcing that e is doing so in a public forum, this causes it to be destroyed."

The claim was that this sentence allowed players to drink Champagne at any time, regardless of whether they had champagne or even whether any champagne existed.

The ruling (see the appellate ruling, as the original judgment was overruled) was that since "a glass of champagne" was a defined game object, "to drink a glass of champagne" was not a standalone action but instead an action performed upon a game object.

By this precedent, "to throw a tomato" requires the existence of a tomato, as tomatoes are defined under the rules. So nobody has thrown any tomatoes."

Note that tomatoes now exist. All that throwing a tomato means is that I throw a tomato; nowhere in r1902 does it say I have to possess the tomato. In fact, you can possess it, for all I (or r1902) care.

I declare my intent to take my free throw against Personman, as well as throw the other two tomatoes at him forty-two times each.

--Phil
"Can anything be stupider than that a man has the right to kill me because he lives on the other side of a river and his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have not quarreled with him?" - Blaise Pascal