Jake Eakle on Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:58:50 -0500 (CDT)

[s-b] harvest time

First, because they have existed for two nweeks, all existing vines produce
tomatoes.

Secondly, I pick the tomatoes on the vines owned by myself, Phil, and Wonko,
as well as the one on the Vine In The Town Square.

Now, there are a couple possibilities here. Either the rules is interpreted
as it was meant, and I now own four tomaatoes and phil and wonko both have
Free Throws against me which they cannot use, or it is interpreted
literally, and my having 'picked' these tomatoes is not defined, much as
'lay down' wasn't, to have have anything in common with the ordinary english
phrase. In this case, i don't even own my the tomato on my own vine, since i
have no means of getting it. After all, the rule merely says that vines
"produce" tomatoes, and says nothing regarding ownership or location. Thus
it follows that now I have picked four tomatoes, and own none, and Phil and
Wonko do have Free Throws against me, but still cannot use them, as they
don't have (and can't have) any tomatoes either.

My case for the former scenario being the one that actually happens is that
while 'lay down' in ordinary english really doesn't mean 'play' or 'put back
in the deck', 'pick' really does mean 'remove from the vine and gain
posession of'. If I were supreme dictator of this Nomic, I would say that's
what happens. However, that's also the way it works out best for me, so I
leave it up to you all.

Also, just cause I haven't been given one yet, I draw a card. And I pay 5~
for my vine.