Wonko on 20 Oct 2002 06:26:02 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Ruling on CFI 1122

Quoth Glotmorf,

> Statement: A society with a charter claiming to transfer points and/or BNS
> from one player to another without the permission of the owner does not in
> fact transfer them, e.g. Wonko's Slaves.
>
> Argument: Society rules defer to game rules. Game rules include the default
> state. The default state says you can't change points or BNS values unless a
> rule lets you.
>
> Defendant: Wonko
>
> I judge this CFI to be TRUE.
>
> Analysis:
>
> Rule 578 clearly states that membership in a society is optional, that a
> player may leave a society at any time.  The requirements and restrictions in
> a society's charter are only binding upon that society's members.  Therefore,
> the requirements and restrictions a society may place on a player are only as
> binding as is the player willing to remain a member.  A player refusing to be
> a member of a society is equivalent to that player refusing to give permission
> for eir information to be changed by another entity, so eir information will
> not be changed.
>
> I have said.

I disagree with this. Membership is optional, but once you are a member, you
have to do whatever the charter tells you to do. Of course, you can quit
later, but if the charter mandates an action, you cannot suddenly decide
that somehow, you already quit before you were forced to take that action.
You can quit after performing your obligations, but you can't somehow
retroactively undo your actions, because you already took them, whether you
wanted to or not.

I'd appeal this CFI, except I agree with the ruling, just not with the
argument, as the argument seems to address a different issue. The CFI
addresses the ability of societies to take one player's possessions and
transfer them to another player; the argument addresses the ability of a
society to force a player to transfer the possessions emself. Players are
allowed to transfer points to other players, and if the society their in
says they have to, then they do automatically.

I make some CFIs:

{{
Statement: If a society's charter states that it's members are required to
perform a certain action, then they must perform that action.

Defendant: Glotmorf

Analysis by plaintiff:
    Read rule 578. "Public rules... are enforcible at the game level." Also,
"A Society may have internal rules that are binding upon its Members." Or,
"A Society may convey certain privileges, *restrictions* or responsibilities
to its Members".
    So, a societal charter is enforcible on the game level, and binding upon
the society's members. It also can covey restrictions to its Members, such
as requiring them to pay other players.
}}

Also,
{{
Statement: The creation of the Society entitled "Wonko's Slaves" during
nweek 24 forced all players other than Wonko to give all eir points and BNS
to Wonko.

Defendant: Glotmorf

Analysis by plaintiff:
    All players were listed as initial members. Therefore they were are
initially members of the society, under rule 578. The Society's public rules
stated that all it's members had to give all their points and BNS to Wonko.
Rule 578 also states that "Public rules must be readable by all Players in
the game, and are enforcible at the game level." Therefore, all players in
Wonko's Slaves had to give all eir points and BNS to Wonko.
}}

And, I suppose, just to clear this all up:
{{
Statement: Under the nweek 24 ruleset, when a society was created by a
player action, all players listed as initial members for that society were
immediately put into that society.

Defendant: Glotmorf

Analysis by plaintiff:
    They're initial members. Therefore, by any reasonable definition of
'initial', they're in the society upon it's creation. Also, note that if
this is judged false, then all societies created by player actions
immediately failed to exist, as they had no members right from the start.
}}

--
Wonko