Dan Waldron on 4 Oct 2000 23:27:14 -0000

spoon-business: Joining (again) and a new proposal.

It seems I am not a player.  Unless this has been overturned.  This agent
is having a hard time trying to keep up with the volume of mail on the
list and still pass all of it's classes.  Oh well, I struggle onwards.

I wish to become a player called Poulenc.  If by some chance I am already
a player called DW, I wish to change my name to Poulenc.  I may be
informally referred to as Dan or DW.

The following is a proposal to be given a Proposal number and registered
by the Administrator:

[Proposal Summary:  This proposal will enact a criminal code which gives
us the ability to punish people for various actions that disrupt game
play.  Included are laws for dealing with players who try to destroy the
game and officers who abuse their power.]

Enact a new rule titled "Criminal Code" with the first available rule
number and text as follows:

It is recognized that while certain actions technically allowed to a
Player may not be in the best intrests of this game.  If a player believes
that any agent has been guilty of such a crime then e should submit an RFJ
accusing that suspect of the crime.  The arguments portion of the RFJ
should contain documentation of whatever evidence has been found to
support the accusation.

An RJF submitted for this purpose is handled in the normal manner for an
RJF except for the following points of difference:

1.  The accused is entitled to submit to the Judge a statement explaining
their position and arguing for their own defense.  If they do not submit
such a statement within a reasonable length of time then they lose this
right.

2.  If the judge rules true e does not issue orders to change the game
state directly but instead issues an order to the accused to make whatever
reparations or punishments e decides upon, within the guidelines of the
criminal code.

3.  Neither the submittor nor the accused may be assigned to judge such an
RFJ.

Here follows the guidelines for judging RFJs on the criminal code.

To be found guilty of game delay through excessive RFJs, proposals, or
other means, the accused agent must have submitted at least fifteen RFJs
or proposals within one nweek, which was found to hinder game play, or
must have taken other simmilar actions which prevented participation by
the Players.  Punishment for this should be a suspension of the ability to
submit RFJs or proposals of not more than five times the amount of the
delay in game play, and may also involve a loss of points at the
discresion of the judge.

To be found guilty of the crime of dereliction of duty, an agent must have
been an officer and must have failed to perform some official duty within
the required amount of time.  Punishment for this should be a loss of a
number of points and possible expulsion from the office at the discresion
of the judge.

To be found guilty of the crime of murder, an agent must have acted in
some way as to directly and permanently prevent a player from
participating in the game. Punishment for this should include loss of any
official privilidges, loss of points, loss of player status, or permanent
expulsion from the game at the discresion of the judge.

To be found guilty of the crime of abuse of office, an agent must have
been an officer and must have used the power granted to eir office to
directly and unfairly hinder the play of another player, outside the realm
of what would normally be expected of that office, at the discresion of
the judge. Punishment for this should be reparations to the hindered
player of whatever game advantage e lost due to the actions of the
accused, made directly by the accused, at the discresion of the judge.

Judgement and punisment on other crimes are possible at the discresion of
the judge.  However, for crimes not listed here the punishment shall not
exceed one hundred points, plus reparations for damages directly caused to
other agents.

Here ends the text of the proposed rule titled "Criminal Code".
Here ends the new proposal.

We are allowed to rescind and edit proposals, right?  So if anyone wants
this changed in any way, let me know and I will see what I can do.  I did
my best to edit out all the bugs but there are probably some left.  There
are also points of policy upon which I am open to discussion.  Sorry about
making this so long.

Poulenc (DW)