Kieron Jarvis on 5 Oct 2000 04:49:42 -0000

spoon-business: Proposal: Pedantics.

> >the reason I thought of it was the first batch of proposals was all typos
> >fixes, and I had to read through all of it anyway.
> >I think this might be what Josh said, but I don't know what pedantry is.
>
> It's kind of like pederasty, except less messy.

I am offended by that remark.

Obviously people around here think that fixing up minor errors in the
ruleset is not something to be done by proposal. I therefore withdraw every
proposal submitted by myself before this post. I hereby submit a new
proposal.

That a rule be created titled "Pedantics" with this text.

"The Pedant is the Officer responsible for minor corrections to the rules.
The Pedant may make changes to the rules consisting of the insertion,
deletion, or change of no more than three words or alphanumeric characters
per Rule per nweek. The Pedant makes a rule change by making a Pedantic
Order ordering the rule change. The Pedantic Order is an Administrative
Order. The Pedantic Order will take effect at the end of the voting period
following the making of that Pedantic Order. The Pedantic Order is
automatically cancelled if a public objection is received before it takes
effect. At the end of a nweek Pedantic Orders will take effect prior to any
other Orders. The Pedant will be paid a stipend of 3 points per nweek. The
Pedant will be paid 1 point per Pedantic Order which takes effect. The first
Pedant is the Player whose real name is Kieron Jarvis. "

[[Some reasoning behind this rule.
1. No more than three words prevents wholesale changes to rules. If the rule
has to be changed in large chunks it is no longer an issue of Pedantics.
2. The Pedantic Order must be made before the voting period or it is carried
over to the next nweek.
3. It must be unanimously not objected to (ie we don't all have to agree as
long as noone objects). The minimum amount of time for objection is a full
voting period.
4. The Pedant's rule change takes place first so that a rule change from
exploitation of a typo may be preventable.
5. A large stipend didn't seem like a good idea as the position should be
close to redundant if the Pedant does his job well.
6. A reward for each rule fix done encourages the Pedant to pay attention to
detail.]]