Jon Stewart on Tue, 30 Nov 2004 18:58:33 -0600 (CST)

Re: [hosers-talk] imap servers?

> I could set up squirrelmail on charybdis. Would that be useful?

Yes, but I'm trying to set it up for myself. :-) I think squirrelmail
works only with imap, though.

> > I really wish nmh development wasn't stuck in the stone age. The project
> > seems to have been killed, more or less, by the savannah attack last year.
> > It's a good example of how baroque software turns to rubble; they had to
> > emulate all the stupid little "features" of mh, and now they've got an
> > albatross of a codebase.
>
> I remember reading some discussion on their mailing list about starting
> over completely. There is a lot of cruft there, many features which just
> aren't needed anymore. If I didn't already have a project, I'd join them.
> I rely on MH more than any program other than vim.

Yes, I love the simple aspects of mh. "comp", "next", "rmm", "show +folder
last", etc. I have the lamest of shell scripts that does a series of picks
and refiles to organize my mail. The essential beauty is that mail items
are individual text files, folders are simple text files, and the
interface is through command-line primitives. The cruftiness is in all the
weird options, obscure header parsing, and lame-o file formats (replcomps
comes to mind; it reads like bad perl code).

If I were to build an mh replacement, I'd have inc explode the headers
into separate files and make messages directories (using the new
functionality in reiserfs, where small files don't kill you and
directories are files, too). So you could refer to message 1 as, y'know,
file 1 and read its contents normally. But inc would also have created
1/To and 1/From and 1/In-Reply-To, etc. That way you parse the headers
once, in inc, and the other commands can just look for the appropriate
files for metadata and operate off of that.

inc essentially uses the properties of reiserfs to create a virtual mailfs
in your Maildir. The filesystem becomes your database and the commands are
simple and dumb. If you want to allow access to other mail stores, you
write some sort of weird filesystem adapter that presents the same
"mailfs" interface.

Jon
--
Jon Stewart                                 Advanced Los Angeles C++
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx                           http://www.alacpp.org