Jeff Schroeder on 21 Aug 2001 04:32:53 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: Majordomo --> Mailman?

Wow, lots of comments. I just threw out my thought (probably while drunk) and haven't been around to pick up the feedback yet.

This sounds like what I want to know. I've never taken any classes (no time until now) and have a very scarce knowledge of the field. Recently I've been getting more curious so before I try to dive in I wanted a reference to start at.

IMO, the stages below seem to be inseparable...  You can probably add
6. How does this affect me?
to the list and that would sum up my interest. But that kind of goes with 3 and 4 as well! I have my own notions to these questions and I am curious how they interact and reconcile with the opinions of others.

jeff

At 06:02 PM 8/20/2001, you wrote:
>Depends on which questions interest you. You can roughly characterize the
>major areas in phil like so:
>
>1. What is there?
>2. How do we know?
>3. What should we do?
>4. Is it pleasing?
>5. Should this convince us?

Quoth "Jon Stewart":
> > Mm, no opinion yet.  Any good suggestions on a starting Philosophy
> > book?  I've read some of the 'greats' with some difficulty, but no real
> > relevations.
>

> Check out _Sophie's World_ (by Jostein Gardner) from the library. Skim the
> story, read the parts about philosophy, and then go from there. It won't
> take but a little time. Joel and Josh may snicker, but it serves as a
> decent overview of occidental philosophy.

I'm not going to snicker at that. It's used in intro classes sometimes.