Jeff Schroeder on 22 Jul 2001 22:12:40 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: MySQL vs PostgreSQL vs Oracle 8i

At 04:55 PM 7/22/2001, you wrote:
It's not that it's lacking much wrt SQL exactly (although what SQL _is_ is
a very slippery thing indeed). But SQL only details how to interface with
a database, not how it should go about storing shit and performing
transactions. From what I understand, there's a world of difference
between MySQL and Oracle in this regard.

Here's some good info:

http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/databases-choosing

I agree, these databases should be transparent (mostly) to the applications using them. For the front-end apps, they should not care if I am using DB2 or a perl script that performs SQL queries on a text file. :) The difference would be the underlying storage and algorithm structures. One database might store using a B tree algorithm, another might use hashing. :) And then you get into whether the data handling is guaranteed. I think I am most interested in the difficulties in setting up the various databases, not necessarily their use - although that is something I am also considering. I also have to consider if an ext2 filesystem is appropriate for a database (or e-mail program) or some sort of journeled file system.

jeff