Jon Stewart on 22 Jul 2001 20:55:55 -0000

Re: hosers-talk: MySQL vs PostgreSQL vs Oracle 8i

> What Jon said about MySQL lacking functionality doesn't much apply, in this
> case. For this, you need a crypt function, and the ability to do some basic
> lookups, which MySQL can handle quite nicely.
>
> BTW, I'm not sure what MySQL is lacking exactly. There are a few
> seldom-used SQL language things that are not implemented, but I can't thing
> of much else.

It's not that it's lacking much wrt SQL exactly (although what SQL _is_ is
a very slippery thing indeed). But SQL only details how to interface with
a database, not how it should go about storing shit and performing
transactions. From what I understand, there's a world of difference
between MySQL and Oracle in this regard.

Here's some good info:

http://www.arsdigita.com/books/panda/databases-choosing

Jon
--
Jon Stewart
stew1@xxxxxxxxxxx

"Survey says: it was a bad idea in the first place."

	-- The Dismemberment Plan