James Helle on Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:47:31 -0500 (CDT)

[eia] losing players

Joel says:
I have to ask again whether we've had anyone quit *because* they were faring
poorly. We've had several resignations coincide with players being in bad
situations, but correlation does not causation make.

Actually, Everett quit in our previous game because he had concluded that it
was mathematically impossible (or improbable, I am not sure which is most
accurate) that Austria could win.  But I distinctly recall his political
position being a large factor in his leaving the game.

What Kyle and I are looking at is quite simply this:

It has taken us somewhere around two (real) years to play almost two game
years.  At this rate I will be nine years older than I am today by the time
we finish this game.  With that much real time involved in playing a game
why would someone play if they couldn't possibly win?  I believe this was
Everett's position when he decided to leave the game.  (On a side note, this
is also why several of us are always egging on others to send in orders that
are delaying the game.  I'm not picking on anyone specifically, it could be
any of us at any given time.)

Also, I disagree with playing this game until December, as Kyle suggested,
if we're not going to finish it.  Whether we restart or continue, let's do
it ASAP.  I would be happy to engage in some mock battles online to help
refresh a new player with the combat system (whether we restart or not).