J.J. Young on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:37:23 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

I've never claimed anything more than a maximum of luck and a minimum of
mistakes in the present game.  Certainly the dice leaned my way in really
critical situations.

In the present and past games I've tried to play along the lines of
long-term survival and prosperity that Mike talks about, but it's easy for
me to say that, since it's harder for a true catastrophe to befall Britain
than most other countries.  I'm willing to tip my hand to the extent of
saying that I've played the 1805-1807 years as GB enough times (and gotten
as lucky as I could hope to again), and I'm ready to move on to a different
country if we start over.

By and large, I'm happy to start a new game, but I worry a bit about the
idea that one player being way ahead is sufficient cause to end a campaign.
In the real Napoleonic wars, France dominated in the early years, and the
supposedly crushed opponents rose from the ashes to strike Nappy down in the
end.  I would hate to think that we would have stopped the "game" at the
Treaty of Tilsit, and never played out the German resurgeance, Russian
invasion, or Penninsular war.  Maybe the fact that GB, unlike France, is all
but impossible to access in the face of a dominant navy makes the present
game situation different.

But anyway, the clear consensus seems to be for starting fresh, and I say
let's get going as quickly as possible !  I'll try to call Fred today and
see what he says, and then we'll know how many players we're working with.

-JJY