Michael Gorman on Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:25:05 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [eia] impasse

At 02:37 PM 7/21/2005, you wrote:
I've never claimed anything more than a maximum of luck and a minimum of
mistakes in the present game.  Certainly the dice leaned my way in really
critical situations.

But we'll still credit you for a well played game.

In the present and past games I've tried to play along the lines of
long-term survival and prosperity that Mike talks about, but it's easy for
me to say that, since it's harder for a true catastrophe to befall Britain
than most other countries.  I'm willing to tip my hand to the extent of
saying that I've played the 1805-1807 years as GB enough times (and gotten
as lucky as I could hope to again), and I'm ready to move on to a different
country if we start over.

By and large, I'm happy to start a new game, but I worry a bit about the
idea that one player being way ahead is sufficient cause to end a campaign.
In the real Napoleonic wars, France dominated in the early years, and the
supposedly crushed opponents rose from the ashes to strike Nappy down in the
end.  I would hate to think that we would have stopped the "game" at the
Treaty of Tilsit, and never played out the German resurgeance, Russian
invasion, or Penninsular war.  Maybe the fact that GB, unlike France, is all
but impossible to access in the face of a dominant navy makes the present
game situation different.

The time scale of a naval build up is also a big factor. You can rebuild your infantry army in a year and a half and be ready to mix it up when an enforced peace ends. I saw that in our first game where I pretty much lost my entire army but in 18 months I was winning wars. Rebuilding a navy takes years. So even if an anti-Britain coalition formed up and started an active naval buildup, it'd be several years before that would lead to actual warfare. So once Britain reaches the point where there are no navies in Europe able to threaten British supremacy, it's nearly impossible to ever take that away on what is suddenly a relatively short time scale of the campaign game.

What made this game so one-sided was that Britain accompanied achieving naval domination with a string of mainland victories. Otherwise you end up simulating the historical scenario where Britain dominated the seas around Europe but could only risk entering the mainland with a lot of help. So it's political status was not so resoundingly strong.

In the real world Britain was starting to feel the pinch of the arms race half a century later, but it took a long time and a lot of commitment by the continental powers, and a growing US Navy, before Britain lost the naval supremacy it won in the Napoleonic Wars.

Mike