Joel Uckelman on Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:34:23 -0600 (CST)

Re: [eia] PPs for a victorious multinational force

Thus spake Michael Gorman:
> There used to be lots of point by point grumbling about the current house
> rule, but I figured it'd be more useful to just propose an easier one.
>
> Assuming that the goal is to make it hard to create more political points
> than you risk in a battle, why don't we just limit the points gained by the
> secondary members of a combined force to being no greater than what they
> can lose.

I think this goal is misguided. That the PP economy should be zero-sum (or
nearly so) is just not supported by the rules. Sieges are often positive-sum.
Drift during the econ phase, declaring war on and conquering unsupported
minors, surrendering to multiple enemies, fighting with Nelson or Napoleon---
none of these are zero-sum. I still maintain that the correct way to handle
PP for multinational forces is that allies count their own corps only for a
loss, and all of the enemy corps for a win (as supported by The General
article I've quoted before). I realize that this favors powers which are
likely to be fighting in concert, but I believe that this was intentionally
designed into the game for balance purposes---e.g., it makes it more
attractive for France's enemies to fight rather than fold.