Michael Gorman on 8 Feb 2004 06:29:27 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] Battle of Florence, October 1807

At 05:50 PM 2/7/2004 -0500, you wrote:
Not Florence, Turin, of course.

BTW, I assume that the garrison/PP issue, at least for a victory, is
resolved and that Austria, Britain, and Turkey each gain +1 PP for the
relief of Florence ?

On the question of whether a garrison-only owner should lose PPs in the
event of a defeat, we seem to have 3 (Kyle, J.J., Jim) who say that he
should lose PPs, and 1 so far (Joel) who says he should not lose any.
Please correct and excuse me if I have misrepresented anyone.  What do the
rest of you (Everett, Danny, Mike) think about it ?

-JJY
As far as I can see, everyone on the losing side loses political points and everyone on the winning side gains them. So unless a garrison is not considered to be on a side, I would think having a garrison there makes you part of the battle and thus a party to the gained or lost points from being there. Trivial combats and garrison attacks make a point of being an exception to the field combat political point losses but relief battles follow the same rules as normal field battles and there is no mention at all of whether or not you have a corps present in determining if you are a part of the winning or losing side. I can't find the rule saying that a defender with just a garrison loses no points. Trivial combats cause no political point changes when one side is entirely garrison, but that's different from a garrison and a corps fighting together on one side. As far as I can find, the entire rule for this is 7.5.2.10.1.3 and it uses one declaration for both the victor and the loser, each corps on the defeated side causes a half a political point gain or loss. A relief battle specifically involves political point changes and specifically allows garrison factors in the city to participate. So it seems clear that they are considered part of the battle.

Mike