Kyle H on 8 Feb 2004 14:43:06 -0000

Re: [eia] [escrow] Battle of Florence, October 1807

    Just to help clarify things a bit so that everyone understands where
everyone else is coming from, Mike is basing his understanding on the rules
found inside the rulebook while Joel is basing his interpretation on the
wording found on the Political Point Chart on the back cover of the rule
book.  There it it says:
"-1/2 (to a maximum of '-3'):  Lost by the loser for each of *his* corps
participating on a field or limited field combat's losing side."  (my
emphasis)
This is the wording that seems to support garrisons not having to lose
anything when they lose a combat (because the owner of the garrison, if
different from the owner of the corps, has no corps in the battle).  So in
essence, the wording on the back cover is different from the wording inside
the book.
    So Joel's view isn't crazy, but I do not think it is consistent with
what we have decided in the past.  I believe we are *forced* to go against
Joel's interpretation by a previous house rule that we established on this
very issue.  Long ago, when a coalition force of British and Spanish troops
was fighting the Russians in/near St. Petersburg, we encountered essentially
the same wording difficulties.  Exactly who gains and loses political points
after a battle with multiple parties on one or both sides?  At the time we
decided that all the parties on one side gain the full amount if they win,
and they lose the full amount if they lose.  (That is, we were siding with
the wording inside the rulebook against the wording on the back cover.)
    Since that was our house rule decision earlier in the game, it would be
inconsistent for us to make a different ruling now that only applies to
garrisons.  If garrisons are in, then they are in all the way, win or lose.

kdh