Kyle H on 26 Aug 2003 01:05:00 -0000

Re: [eia] Retreat rules

Jim wrote:
> Per 7.5.2.10.3.6 a force with no available retreat route is captured ,
along
> with any leaders present.  For the sake of simplicity, I think we should
> adhere to the rules where possible.

    Well, if a unit is surrounded, it does have a retreat route - through
the enemy force towards its nearest depot.  The house rule I was proposing
was something like this:

A retreating army should be retreated to a/the unobstructed space which is
closest to the army's closest depot (or the nearest capital, if there are no
depots on the board).  Notice that a space is not considered if it contains
cossacks, freikorps, guerillas, or garrisons - only if it contains enemy
corps.  If there are no unobstructed spaces available to retreat to, then
the army is retreated through the enemy (as per the rules in the book).

One might ask:  if one can always be retreated through the enemy, when would
the rule that Jim sites ever come up?  The answer is: very rarely.  The only
instance I can think of is when a battle is fought on an island.  If the
island has only one space, like Malta, then there would be no place to
retreat to, and the enemy would be captured.

kdh