Joel Uckelman on 30 Apr 2003 03:55:01 -0000

Re: [eia] a try for a simple solution to 12.4

Thus spake "J.J. Young":
> Personally, I don't have much of a problem with "teleporting" garrisons out
> of fomerly enemy territory.  After all, garrisons don't need to be fed,
> anyway.  I think the spirit of 12.4 is preserved, having to plan and exert
> effort to get your corps out of f.e.t.
>
> I like Everett's suggestion of having the "honors of war" of garrisons just
> take them to the nearest city in friendly territory, rather than just to the
> nearest friendly-controlled city (which might still be in f.e.t.).  I hadn't
> realized how Turkey's special situation with Feudal corps could screw him
> over in these situations.  I think Everett's suggestion (which amounts to
> using repatriation for garrisons, but not for corps), would be a simple way
> to address Joel's concern.
>
> -JJY

Ugh, I just thought of another problem:

If all of your garrisons have to take honors of war, then that would leave
all of your depots ungarrisoned. But what if you're still at war with a power
that has troops in f.e.t? Then you're being *required* by the terms of the
peace to leave your supply line undefended. Ack.

So I think honors of war for garrisons when peace is made *has* to be
voluntary, and applicable on a garrison-by-garrison basis.

Taking that into account, here's a modified proposal:

1. At the time peace is made, any garrisons in formerly enemy territory are,
at the owner's option, repatriated to the nearest city in friendly territory
that can hold them.

2. A ground unit in formerly enemy territory may move only by satisfying one
of the following conditions, using movement points as the distance metric:
 a. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest accessible friendly
area.
 b. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest of the former enemy's
ports.
 c. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest enemy area, and the
nearest enemy area is nearer than the nearest friendly area.
 d. The ground unit begins its move in an area that can be reached overland by
an enemy unit from that enemy unit's current location during that enemy unit's
next move.

3. No land unit may cross into formerly enemy territory without an access
agreement.

4. A fleet owned by or allied to a power that made peace may enter a port in
former enemy territory if a land unit allied with that power is in the port
or could enter the port later during the turn.

5. A fleet that enters a port under 4 must embark during the next naval phase,
carrying, at least one land unit if possible. A fleet that enters
Constantinople without an access agreement must exit the Dardanelles into the
area through which it entered.

Ok, hopefully that captures everything we've said thus far.