J.J. Young on 30 Apr 2003 04:14:01 -0000

Re: [eia] a try for a simple solution to 12.4

> Taking that into account, here's a modified proposal:
>
> 1. At the time peace is made, any garrisons in formerly enemy territory
are,
> at the owner's option, repatriated to the nearest city in friendly
territory
> that can hold them.

I like this because it puts responsibility on the owner whether or not to
possibly strand garrisons.

> 2. A ground unit in formerly enemy territory may move only by satisfying
one
> of the following conditions, using movement points as the distance metric:

Small question; why is it important to use movement points as the metric,
instead of simple areas ?  Maybe this was answered earlier and I missed it.

>  a. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest accessible
friendly
> area.
>  b. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest of the former
enemy's
> ports.
>  c. The ground unit ends its move nearer to the nearest enemy area, and
the
> nearest enemy area is nearer than the nearest friendly area.

This last bit ("and the nearest enemy area is nearer than the nearest
friendly area") is a stronger restriction than I had proposed, although I
don't object.

>  d. The ground unit begins its move in an area that can be reached
overland by
> an enemy unit from that enemy unit's current location during that enemy
unit's
> next move.
>
> 3. No land unit may cross into formerly enemy territory without an access
> agreement.
>
> 4. A fleet owned by or allied to a power that made peace may enter a port
in
> former enemy territory if a land unit allied with that power is in the
port
> or could enter the port later during the turn.
>
> 5. A fleet that enters a port under 4 must embark during the next naval
phase,
> carrying, at least one land unit if possible. A fleet that enters
> Constantinople without an access agreement must exit the Dardanelles into
the
> area through which it entered.

One small problem here; what if the fleet moves to the port, with every
intention of picking up a corps that could move to the same port, but some
unexpected circumstance (such as enemy action) prevents the corps from
getting to the port that turn.  Would the fleet be forced to leave the next
turn, and then come back again in the third turn ?  This creates an extra
month's delay in evacuation.

Is it necessary to require the _fleet_ to leave immediately at all, other
than the same 6 month time limit as corps have ?

> Ok, hopefully that captures everything we've said thus far.

I think that Joel and I (at least), are getting close to consensus.  But
there's a number of players that haven't been heard from, yet.

-JJY