Michael Gorman on 18 Apr 2003 00:59:01 -0000

Re: [eia] political points after a battle

There are two different cases here, one involving neutral minors and one
involving majors after a peace. As far as I can tell, there's nothing
prohibiting battles from taking place in neutral minors, so long as the
belligerents are otherwise eligible to fight.

I believe that the rules in 12.4 constitute the sole restrictions on leaving the territory of a former enemy major power. Nothing there prohibits fighting battles, restricts exit paths, prohibits additional corps from entering, building depots, etc. All I see are restrictions on occupying cities beyond 3 months, and the requirement that everyone have left after half a year. So that's the way I think it should be played baring a compelling argument to the contrary.

--
J.
        I would then see 12.4 as being either unwieldy or ridiculous.

Unwieldy:

Instead, when peace is made, the former enemies have a period of automatic "limited access" to get their forces out of the former enemy power's territory.

If this clause is considered more than flavor text, then the rule is unwieldy. We have a difficult evaluate condition upon access but it prevents flagrant abuse of the peace time access.

Ridiculous:
If the above clause is considered flavor text, then upon the end of any war, both sides gain a substantial portion of a peace condition that normally requires an unconditional surrender. Some examples. At the end of a war between Russia and Turkey, Turkey cannot block Dardenelles access for Russia for 6 months. This means Russia can trade freely through the Dardenelles, pass freely through it and in all ways have unconditional access since a war occured. Who won is not relevant and that it has nothing to do with force repatriation is also irrelevant. If Russia made a separate peace with Prussia, I could march an army through Prussia in order to pass through France and invade Spain. This clearly violates the entire purpose of 12.4, but it is entirely allowed and Prussia has no ability to restrict my movements in any way. France still has one more turn to pass freely through Austria into Italy since they fought a war almost half a year ago, he can suddenly up and enter Austria for no reason that has any bearing on force repatriation.

With this interpretation, I propose we strike option 12.4 as being absurd. The idea of requiring forces to take the time and money to get out of a nation is a good idea, but reading it as imposing the unconditional access peace term on every power in a war is ludicrous.

Mike