J.J. Young on 21 Dec 2002 23:59:01 -0000

Re: [eia] question about multi-national sieges

Rereading the rules about when a non-phasing corps must leave the scene of a
battle, I'm more sure it's not the way to go in these cases.  Rule 7.3.8.4
says that a major power must move their forces out of the area "unless it is
an ally of the attacker at war with the defender".

So the central question to me is, is there a limit to how many breach
attempts a city garrison is allowed to endure, or not ?  You know, now that
I think about it, there shouldn't be, and here's why (my view is changing as
I write this email):

1.)  Suppose attacker A moves to attack a city, besieges it, makes a breach,
but fails to take the city.
2.)  Attacker A is either wiped out in the breach battle, or is chased away
by a relief battle.
3.)  Later in the same turn, attacker B moves into the area of the city
(which attacker A no longer occupies) and besieges it.

Should attacker B be disallowed from making a breach attempt, just because
attacker A did so against the same city earlier in the turn ?  It seems
clear to me that the answer should be no; that is, more than one breach
attempt can be made against the same city in the same turn.

I don't see any reason why this situation should be handled differently if
attacker A's forces are still in the area when attacker B's land phase comes
up.

So I have concluded that the correct way to handle it is that the attackers
A and B can, and in fact must, make separate breach attempts if both end up
besieging the same city during the same turn.  Of course, each attacker must
use their own separate forces if the siege is done without combined
movement, which in many situations will be to the attacker's disadvantage.
I think this interpretation jives with all the rules.

-JJY