Daniel Lepage on Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:24:02 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Roster

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Craig Daniel <teucer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Indeed. The original B is provably dead, through an excess of
> platonism. (I say excess because it became so Platonist as to discover
> that it had retroactively been dead dating all the way back to an era
> when it was rather thoroughly pragmatic.) However, the final alleged
> (but not actual) B Nomic ruleset is nonetheless a set of rules for a
> possible game, and there's no reason not to play that game. (It does
> have a comment bug that means it can only be played in a pragmatic
> fashion, not a platonic one, but since we are starting an entirely new
> nomic whose initial ruleset happens to be derived from B, there's no
> reason we have to play as we were when B Classic was still a thing.)

For what it's worth, I still contend that the "provable death" of B
Nomic was in fact erroneous - r0 step 1 stops all currently pending
events, and then r0 step 4 establishes a new pending event (the Pause
increase). Therefore, A) the two sections are not in conflict, and B)
even if they were in conflict, step 4 would take precedence because
r33 grants precedence to the later section when a rule conflicts with
itself.

This wasn't an excess of Platonism, it just a normal amount of
Platonism coupled with a misreading of r0.

Consequently, Platonist B Nomic is still going, although it's entered
a state not covered by the rules, as r0 doesn't address the
possibility of nobody voting for any of the Refresh Proposals, nor the
possibility that the Emergency Coordinator will leave.

The "comment bug" is also not a bug - it is an established convention
of the English language that asymmetrical bracket characters have an
"inside" and and "outside", and that closing a bracket marks the end
of its "inside". In the text "[[foo]]bar[[baz]]", the text "bar" is
between square brackets, but the words 'within' the brackets are the
"foo" and the "bar".

--
Wonko