Alex Smith on Sun, 25 Jul 2010 13:20:09 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [Change] Voting Results for Nweek 172

On Sun, 2010-07-25 at 03:09 -0500, Jeff Gitchel wrote:
> Well, first, i think this declaration went to the discussion forum
> instead of the official forum. I may be wrong about that: i have been
> in the past.
> Second, i think you may still be a newbie. I never figured out the
> result of that discussion, but if you weren't a newbie, then you
> weren't entitled to a mentor anyway, right? if you are a newbie, i
> hereby volunteer to be your mentor, since i think i'm done with my
> last mentor gig.
> Third, i noticed your request (if it was a request) to not be required
> to write out all 200 requests for a mentor, but the request doesn't
> negate the need to do so. If the fact that no one spoke to your
> request is all it takes to grant it, then i guess i will have to
> object now.
> Fourth, it's possible that there wasn't reaction to your request not
> be required to write out all 200 requests for a mentor because it
> wasn't actually a request. It seemed more like an order, which had no
> compulsion on any of the other players to allow it. The fact that no
> one objected (or supported) does not mean it had any force.
> It may have been more prudent to have simply pasted the request in 200
> times.

I easily could have done. It's a basic metarule of basic email courtesy;
I thought of writing the request 200 times, but nobody wants to receive
an email that long. Precedent in Agora at least is that if it's
reasonable to send something written out, it's reasonable to abbreviate
it like that; I'm not sure if B has similar precedent.

I wrote the "don't make me" comment to encourage people to speak up if
they had any issues with the abbreviation, as you note. If you want to
claim it's invalid, I think you're wrong, but I can spam up the lists
with similar repeated actions if you like. I don't think the rest of B
would like that, though.

--
ais523