James Baxter on Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:02:23 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [change] Ballot for nweek 161 - 24 Dec 2009.

> From: bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:39:58 -0600
> To: spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [s-b] [change] Ballot for nweek 161 - 24 Dec 2009.
> >  2005 - A better Rule 0 (JamesB) [NO]
> The fifth era Emergency rule was really broken. I know, I wrote it. It's being terribly broken was why we replaced it with Points of Order (which were broken in an even more egregious way).

Thinking about it,, the 5th era emergency rule at that point had been refined by testing in several emergencies and the rule I proposed is a lot less broken than the current emergency rule. It provides the flexibility to deal with any type of emergency:

*It stops game time, even including wtime, so actions cannot be carried out while everyone is distracted with the emergency

*It has constant evaluation of when an emergency should be started so if the clock is broken, the emergency can still be started

*It has an active anti-emergency option of trusting to stop a small group of paranoid players from freezing the game

*It uses the public forum, preventing ting forums inaccessible to some players from being used but still provides an option for designating a new forum if the public forum is inaccessible

*It allows more emergencies to be stared alongside the first if it gets stuck or the players are not happy with the emergency coordinator

*It has ranked voting, allowing one option to be chosen (unlike points of order)

*It allows for revising refresh proposals, in case a mistake is made (unlike 4th era RPs)

*It allows the emergency to be ended if something goes wrong or if the problem is fixed another way, preventing the emergency from continuing when a scam is attempted (e.g. the cenobiarch RP)

I don't see the brokenness in that...

> >  2006 - Cleaning up after the RP (JamesB) [SHELVE]
> This won't take effect anyway because you were too specific with regard to the rules you're modifying. If P2003 passes, the rules in question will become 61/1 and 65/1.

I'll change that, I forgot about P2003. I'll be less specific with serial numbers in future.