Jamie Dallaire on Tue, 27 Jan 2009 10:02:58 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation 197 on I Propose Synonyms

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:51 AM, M P Darke <darkemalcolm@xxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Why?
> "Marr965 should really just (please) stop trying to submit things that
> way."
> Why, I ask you, again, should I "really just stop trying to submit things
> that way"?
> I am of the opinion that "I propose [x]" is a synonym for "I submit the
> proposal named [x]", and I intend to stick to that opinion unless someone
> provides reasonable proof otherwise.

Bah, I just said that because I think that doing it that way
over-complicates things. There's nothing inherently wrong about doing it if
you think it works, and lord knows much of the interest in B lies in people
trying stuff just to see if they can get away with it.

It's just that I think that in this particular case, because there is no
scam associated with this purported mode of proposal submission (unless
you're hiding something very clever ;-) and because the distinction between
whether or not this works is of very little philosophical interest (to me
anyway), the net effect of you trying to do it this way is just to burden
the justice system with a pretty boring consultation and to leave the game
with uncertain gamestate.

Now, of course, if there were a scam associated with this whole thing,
something built around whether a particular proposal exists or not, that
could make the whole thing suddenly quite interesting!!!

Hmmmm, so basically my request was a product of a huge value judgment on my
part :-D Nothing more, nothing less.

BP