Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:33:57 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Ha Haaaa!!

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM, M P Darke <darkemalcolm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't believe that there is anything in the rules that prohibits me from
> doing that, actually.

ack, the ISIDTID debate again. We really should get that "no changing game
objects in a manner not specified by the rules" rule back. Anyway, you can't
do stuff just cause the rules don't say you can. They have to say you can
for you to be able to.

I know, this is a philosophical meta-rules position type thing. There's no
platonically correct answer here, as far as I'm concerned. It's just that
doing stuff that the rules don't say you can is somewhat akin to sweeping
all the pieces off a monopoly board. It's not explicitly forbidden or
impossible in the rules, but you're not really playing the game when you do
it.

We've had this debate before and eventually decided to go with the
interpretation I'm using here. If I'm not mistaken that's sort of a
traditional thing in nomic. Then we formalized it with the defunct rule I
mentioned, and somehow got rid of that rule in the emergentic flurry of 5th
era's birth.

My "Change the tweaks rule" tweak was objected to, remember?
> Just in case, I submit a consultation:
> Is there a rule that states, in it's entirety, "Marr965 may change the
> gamestate at any time."?
> Unbeliever: J

Gratuitous: 5E10: A Game Action is defined as any activity specified by the
Rules that changes the state of the game. To perform a Game Action, an
Outsider must post a message to a Public Forum specifying that they are
taking that action.

The rules don't specify "activating a tweak without first intending to and
waiting 2 ndays" as a Game Action. Therefore it's not a game action, and an
outsider can't post to the forum and take that game action. Someone tried to
argue a month or two ago that "activating a tweak" is a game action (might
not have been tweaks, but same principle) defined by the rules,
independently of the intent/objection bit. E lost.

Incidentally, re-reading the dependent actions rule just now, I realized I
actually COULDN'T alter my Beast tweak as I tried to do a couple days ago. I
can only do so once nday 1 ends. It's 2 ndays (3 midnights with clock on) or
3 rdays (3 midnights regardless) but the rdays bit only if 5 support has
been obtained. Didn't remember the 5 support requirement.

BP