Jamie Dallaire on Thu, 15 Jan 2009 14:03:49 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Laws of Grey...

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Jan 2009, at 19:52, M P Darke wrote:
>
>  I would like to add the following paragraph to the Laws of Grey:
>>

> That's nice

ehird, geez.

Anyway, I guess he means you should either "intend" to do stuff or "do"
stuff, depending which is appropriate in your situation (not sure what the
laws of grey call for). Sort of like "submitting" proposals rather than
"suggesting" changes. Otherwise, we get this slippery slope where all sorts
of language might ridiculously be considered to constitute an action (see
e.g. "Watcher WoodsPam" in Agora:
http://www.mail-archive.com/agora-discussion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg16159.html).

I stab Wooble.
I attempt to stab Wooble. (we generally allow this, usually treating it like
"I stab Wooble if that's possible right now")
------
I'd like to stab Wooble.
I think I'll stab Wooble in a bit.
Perhaps someone should stab Wooble. Me?
Stabbing Wooble would be great.
Wooble needs a good stabbing.
Bla bla bla Wooble. Bla bla bla Stab.

etc. etc. if we start treating things like I'd like to stab Wooble as
equivalent to I stab Wooble, where do we draw the line?

Incidentally, I've only now realized how good it sounds when you say
"Wooble" out loud.

BP