Alex Smith on Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:19:19 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] A test message to make everyone Paranoid

On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 09:29 -0500, Geoffrey Spear wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Alexander Smith <AIS523@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There is nothing evil about this message.
> >
> > Nothing at all.
>
> Claim of error: the message includes the header "X-MimeOLE: Produced
> By Microsoft Exchange V6.5" which is about as evil as you can get.

Yes, it wasn't my usual mailer, which was messing up weirdly. That
mailer is closer to the mailbox, in a sense, but it didn't work at the
time either (just spooled, it seems).

It seems they turned the networking at bham.ac.uk off some time late on
Thursday, whilst I was using it, causing all sorts of things to break in
weird ways. I fell off the Internet shortly later, and have only just
got back to it.

I sent a test message to s-d to try to figure out what was happening; my
messages to a-d hadn't gone through, and I wasn't receiving from either
the Agora or B mailing lists; but I was receiving emails sent directly
to me. Still not sure exactly what happened. (Also fun was that when I
attempted to send messages, not only did it fail, but I got a different
error message each time, more or less; I must have got about 6 different
errors by now.)
--
ais523