Jamie Dallaire on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 09:23:18 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultations on the Pencil Sharpener

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2008, at 16:03, Jamie Dallaire wrote:
>
>  I thought so too. Why did we ever get rid of those?
>>

> Unneeded, IMO. How can we be in a clock crisis? Where does the gamestate
> exist apart from:

OK, it's gonna be hard to get into clock crises now that the clock is
pragmatised.

> - in our minds
> - on the wiki?

Nowhere, really. But we CAN have any number of crises when our minds either
don't agree with each other or with themselves.

> Which of those records us in a clock crisis? There's no magical fairy
> dust where the gamestate is stored.
>
> Consultations just bend our minds.

Exactly. OR they tell us which way our minds are already bent, that's the
way I'd like to put it.

Teucer said: It's up to BP. We can have the offensive version, or the
version with
a word that you probably shouldn't say in church.

Fear not. Blasphemy, profanity, and obscenity are all welcome in the house
of BP. (oh, I forgot toilet humour)

Teucer said: If there's ambiguity but they have no effect, then all they do
is tell
us what one person (the Priest) thinks; in that case they don't
actually clear up anything at all.

I have to disagree here. If they're only telling us what one person thinks,
it's because other players are either too stupid/busy/lazy to form an
opinion themselves or can't be bothered to declare it inconsistent. Since
everyone has ample opportunity to declare an answer inconsistent (well, save
for the supplicant) or consistent, then pondered consultations should be
taken to reflect the opinion of the general player-base.

Teucer said: Having been party to the reasoning behind removing it, the idea
was
that what it was actually being used for was as a way of patching
gamestates judged to be broken, a purpose for which one ought to use
Tweaks or Proposals.

Oh yeah. We were doing a lot of that...That WAS abuse, true.

BP