Jamie Dallaire on Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:17:15 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] @0x44

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:36 AM, Elliott Hird <
penguinofthegods@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2008, at 15:32, 0x44 wrote:
>
>  If you look back on the archive, you'll notice that historically the MoC
>> announced what number a proposal was.
>>

> Hm. Alright. Doesn't seem very neccessary to me, though.

Used to be that rule numbers mattered. They still should, technically, in
that proposals with lower numbers are tallied first. This means that the
passing of a lower-numbered proposal can prevent the effects of a
higher-numbered one (e.g. by destroying the rule referred to by the
higher-numbered one) or that the higher-numbered one passing can clobber the
changes from the lower-numbered one, which has happened several times in the
past. Sometimes deliberately iirc. The recent practice of not numbering
rules immediately has led to several cases of arbitrary numbering, with
proposal numbers not necessarily reflecting submission order. I don't think
anything in recent history has been affected by this, but it's good practice
to number them as they go.

I also think that informing the players of a proposal's number can be
important. Consider the following scenario:

ehird submits a Proposal entitled "foo".
BP submits a Proposal entitled "CREAMPUFF", specifying a Conflict with
"foo".
ehird revises "foo", renaming it to "foot".

Both pass. Crap, is there proposal culling to be done or not? Whereas if
BP's proposal referred to ehird's by number, no problem.

BP