Jay Campbell on Wed, 28 May 2008 22:27:12 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Proto: Paprika

Jamie Dallaire wrote:
> Not a proper version of the game including the mechanisms for secrecy or
> some dm or dm-bot. Just a set of rules by which the game of Paprika could be
> played in the Field Match framework (which would require modifications for
> private displays and such of course). Please suggest modifications/discuss
> them as I will be attempting to run an informal game with whoever wants to
> volunteer to play it (just 3-4 players would probably be best at this point)
> and tracking all private displays as well as the true gamestate openly on my
> page of the wiki (or elsewhere if that works better). I guess I will start
> in a few days, maybe around the start of next nweek or whenever it looks
> like no one is suggesting huge changes/I have the time to do it.

Count me in.

The ruleset you describe sounds like something my engine could take on.
I meant to send a follow-up about the last chess match, which I never
did completely automate because of the subtleties of piece movement. I'd
be happy to run another chess game for B but not under the Field Match
framework. Spork's is now "move 18 hours after creation or last move"
and it seems to have turned into a balanced game, e.g. no player has
been able to dominate the board without serious politicking.

Paprika looks more straightforward, to the point where I wonder if you
wrote it to coax me into automating it. Worst case I'll try to mimic the
demo game and see how close I can get.

I set up a bnomic@xxxxxxxxx account a while back if you want to send
secret commands there.