Geoffrey Spear on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:28:14 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] [MoC] nweek 140 voting results

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 10:55 PM, Jamie Dallaire
<bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Geoffrey Spear <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >  Ministry of Society, please be advised that the following Proposals
>  >  affected players' attributes:
>  >  http://b.nomic.net/index.php/Proposals/0386
>  >  http://b.nomic.net/index.php/Proposals/0383
>
>  With regards to 383... Since our Minister was a Player known as Wooble
>  at the time this proposal was submitted, then ceased to be a Player,
>  then once again became a Player known as Wooble:
>
>  Does this Proposal actually affect him? I don't think so. Arguments, anyone?

I'd say that the instructions found in a Proposal are evaluated at the
instant the Proposal Passes; Rule 4E15 is fairly unambiguously worded.
 The state of the game when the Proposal was actually submitted is
irrelevant, and to make changes based on it would in a lot of cases
constitute retroactivity.

I see this as analogous to the situation of changing rule numbers such
that the wrong rules get amended.  That was clearly legal, if a
complete pain in the butt.

--Wooble