Mike McGann on Mon, 11 Feb 2008 17:15:08 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Consultation: Beast voting

On Feb 11, 2008 10:37 AM, ihope <ihope127@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, exactly. Give each rule a level and say that higher-level rules
> take precedence over lower-level rules and within each level, rules
> with a lower rule number take precedence over rules with a higher rule
> number, and also say, optionally, that rules of a certain level are
> "essential". :-)

What I am interested in is why there are no precedence rules in this
nomic instance. Anyone out there reading this list that has been
around long enough to know why? While it could help in the resolution
of disputes, is it even necessary? Things seem to go okay enough
without them.

Anyway, I probably won't vote for this proposal but one comment: Why
not make the levels discrete numbers? I can already see someone now
trying to set the level to the value of PI to 1000 digits.

I do like the way it is done in the Agora ruleset. That is just an
observation and my opinion, not an endorsement of what we should do
here.

- Hose