0x44 on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 14:26:33 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Ministry of Time Bulletin and Consultation

Roger Hicks wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2008 5:34 PM, Jamie Dallaire <bad.leprechaun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I submit the following Consultation, and urge the Priest not to forget to
>> submit a clarifying oracularity:
>>
>> At the time of this Consultation's submission, does Wooble have 195
>> mackerel?
>>
>> Unbeliever: Wooble
>>
>> Reasoning:
>> {
>> At the end of nweek 137, Wooble gave 0.1 mackerel to "any Player whose
>> mackerel modulo 1 = .5m", via future game action posted earlier in the
>> nweek. Wooble had 195 mackerel before performing this action. As a result,
>> he fell to 194.5 mackerel. Of course, it is impossible for Wooble to
>> transfer mackerel to himself, and it is unclear whether his future action
>> would have applied to a player whose mackerel fell to modulo 1 = .5m during
>> the course of said action. Proposal 289, which Passed at the end of the same
>> nweek, contains the instruction "Round off each Player's mackerel to the
>> nearest integer." As Minister of Society, I find myself in a conundrum:
>>
>> Round up or round down?!?!
>> }

I answer this consultation YES.

My reasoning:
Nothing in the ruleset declares a method of rounding. While bank
rounding is the most accurate method of rounding, we aren't doing enough
transactions to make it worthwhile. Therefore, it is understandable that
the method of rounding defaulted to mathematical rounding. The
mathematical round of x.5 is x+1.

--
0x44;