Justin Ahmann on Fri, 11 Jan 2008 03:52:42 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Fire sale!

An External Force is anything which exists independently of the game. That is, it would still exist if the game stopped existing, and would still exist if the game had never started existing.
An Outsider is a Game Object representing the projection into the Game of an External Force.

A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules, fulfills all requirements for continued playerhood specified by the rules, and has become a Player in a manner specified by the rules that were in effect at the time e became a Player.
Any Human External Force that is not already a Player may request to join the game by posting a message to a Public Forum containing a request to become a Player and a uniquely identifying name that e wishes to be known by.
As a Game Action, any player may Ratify or Reject such a request within 10 rdays of its being made. The External Force making the request becomes a Player as soon as all of the following are true:

An Outsider is a projection into the game of an External Force.

A Player is an Outsider.

A new Player is an External Force.

Thus, a new Player must be both a projection into the game and a thing that exists independently of the game.

When pikhq joined the game, an Outsider was an External Force, but not a projection.  Thus, "Josiah Worcester" was
an External Force
an Outsider
a Game Object
a Player

Proposal 211 made it impossible to modify Game Objects unless explicitly allowed by the rules.  Proposal 213 then redefined "Outsider" to the present definition.  Thus, as "Josiah Worcester" was a Game Object, one of two things must have happened:

1) "Josiah Worcester" remained an Outsider, but, as the definition of Outsider changed, "Josiah Worcester" also changed.  "Josiah Worcester" became, in game context, a projection of an External Force.  Luckily, since the rules only regulate Outsiders as Game Objects, the human "Josiah Worcester" has not been inconvenienced by this.  "Josiah Worcester" fell into the paradox above, because he was a projection into the game, and, at the same time, a human independent of the game.

2) "Josiah Worcester" did not become a projection; instead, he ceased to be an Outsider, as he no longer fit the definition of an Outsider.  As he was no longer an Outsider, he was no longer a Player.  The same goes for everybody else playing at the time.  However, due to Wooble's Refresh Proposal in nweek 135, there existed a Player named pikhq (as well as all other assumed Players at the time).  Therefore, there exist a host of Players, that, as Outsiders, are projections of External Forces, but nothing defines who or what these External Forces are.  The Players who have joined since the Emergency of nweek 135 run into the paradox above--they must simultaneously be part of the game and not part of it.

This doesn't really lend much to the problem of what happens to pikhq's Rapier.  All it establishes is that there is a big paradox with the "Fourth Era Pioneers", and maybe with the non-"Fourth Era Pioneers".

(Maybe somebody can figure out how to paradox-win with this.  If so, I would like to achieve it.  There's no real reason to let me, though.)

Codae